Hampden Heritage

Archaeology, History, and Heritage in Central Baltimore

Monday, June 04, 2007

Call for interview subjects

Hi folks,

Sorry about the lag between posts again--I got busier than I expected preparing for vacation, and then was gone for two weeks. Sometime this week I'll finish my series on Hampden workers and labor legislation.

But first, I would like to ask for your help. This summer, in addition to HCAP’s usual archaeological work, I would like to conduct between 10 and 15 interviews with residents of Hampden-Woodberry about the issues of heritage and gentrification, and attitudes toward HonFest in particular. I am looking to interview people who fall across the whole demographic spectrum of Hampden-Woodberry—young and old, long-time residents and newcomers. The only requirements are that interviewees must be at least 18 years old and have lived in Hampden-Woodberry for a minimum of one year.

The interviews will be conducted according to scholarly standards of anthropological research, including protection of interviewees’ identities. I plan to record the interviews using digital audio recording equipment. The data collected from this research will be used in my dissertation about Hampden-Woodberry, for the University of Michigan.
If you are interested in participating in this research, or have any further questions, please contact me by email at rchidest@umich.edu or by phone at (734) 474-0296.

IRB: Behavioral Sciences; IRB Number: HUM00012814; Document Approved on: 5/2/2007

(That last line is just some technical stuff that the University of Michigan requires I include in all published advertisements for this particular project.)

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave G. said...

I think you should contact Benn Ray, head of the Hampden Merchant's Assn. about this, because there's apparently some dissent about of Honfest even among merchants, many of whom prefer Hampdenfest.

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My father was born and raised in Hampden (Falls Road, across from the Resevoir) in 1905. He raised six kids there, with me being the youngest born in 1959. Hampden is not scary. I went to elementary school with the drug addicts, they look scary but are only hurting themselves. Three of my older brothers (who went to 56 and on to Poly) became Electrical Engineers. My other brother (went to City) retired as a LT. from the BFD. My sister married a dean and lives in Chicago, and I (Western High) went on to get my degree in Computer Science. My little ol' house my parents bought on Dellwood for $8000 in 1957 is now worth 1/4 million. Go figure. Hampdenfest and HumFest do nothing for Hampden except make the ORIGINAL NATIVES look stupid and uneducated. My two sisters-in-law cannot even afford a house on 34th Street... the street they grew up on! My one sister-in-law does not have her driver's license, has never had one and never needed one. Now that Sandler's and Ponds are gone, she has nowhere affordable to shop.

11:04 AM  
Blogger Dave G. said...

anonmyous - thanks for your thoughts. If you'd like to participate in our oral history project, please contact me off-list at hampdenarchy@gmail.com. I'd appreciate hearing more about what you have to say.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home