Hampden Heritage

Archaeology, History, and Heritage in Central Baltimore

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Pacific St. (again)

Even though I'm working my way through a fairly daunting pile of books and articles for my upcoming comprehensive exam, I manage to get out in the field every so often. A couple of Fridays ago was such a beautiful day that i couldn't stand to just sit around in the house, so I went out in the field and excavated a level in the trench on Pacific Street. Its fairly interesting stuff. I dug through a layer of coal-ash that also contained a lot of destruction debris presumably from an early addition to the house. The destruction must have occurred sometime after 1920, based on a dated coin within the fill, but the addition is clearly quite a bit older, as evidenced by some hand-wrought nails, which tend to indicate a date in the first part of the 19th century.
Pacific St. excavationPacific St. excavation

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home